Things you can do right now to be a more ethical technologist
- Join a union (if you’re in a country where you won’t get fired for thinking about it)
- Have uncomfortable conversations with colleagues and friends in industry that you trust about important issues
- Educate yourself; consider it another thing that’s as essential as being up to date on the latest framework or methodology
- Network with others who care about these issues
- Mentor and sponsor marginalised people
- Either get good at compiling arguments in a “non-combative” way or get comfortable with being the annoying or even rude one. The former is existentially annoying but keeping a veneer of “professionalism” and lack of perceived aggression often helps your argument, even if the problem is egregious and you are justified in being angry
- Support organisations already doing the work, ones that are lobbying the government or providing alternative infrastructure
- Vote with your feet, be honest in an exit interview about why you are leaving
Hit me up on Twitter with comments.
Or you know, just to chat!
You can subscribe to my blog via email or RSS feed.
Enjoyed this post? Tip me!